Friday, June 05, 2009

It's all starting to feel real

It is finally starting to feel like the whole adoption thing is going to happen. I know I have been part of this adoption world for 4 years now but the time has come that I am seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. Now the light is still dim but in the distance I can see it. Just as you are reading my blog right now, I have been reading the blogs of those going before me since the beginning of this journey. I would get excited every time someone got a referral and I could see that precious face and follow the journey to China and back. It helped to pass the time and has helped give hope to a long lived dream. But now over the past few months there are so many of the people that are closer to me traveling and it is just now that I am starting to see that light getting brighter. Over the past few weeks two wonderful families were united with their wonderful daughters. Of course anyone who has followed my blog knows all about Lisa and Tate and another wonderful family T&J. They both got their beautiful daughters. Now yesterday pugmama, L, and Leeanne all left for China. Seeing these wonderful friends get their daughters is finally giving me the feeling that it is going to happen.
I laugh as I think about how long we have waited and how unprepared we are. Yes, UNPREPARED! I think we were more prepared 3 years ago! Things change so much over a 3+ year time span and sometimes we forget to look at the whole picture. I say this because as the time gets closer I have started to see what all still needs to be done. Most of you know we moved at the beginning of the year. The house we bought needed a total overhaul so it is a work in very slow progress. We are hoping to have it done by the time we travel. I promise I will post some before and after pictures soon. We still have some major purchases to buy such as the car seat and high chair (guess I should be researching). We still have family credits to do and Mike has to get his CPR cert., and of course we have a whole list of items to buy for our China trip. How after 3+ years can we be this unprepared?
So as of yesterday I have pledged to get moving. I watched the Medical Risks video (have had it for 6+ months) and started reading Twenty Things Adopted Kids Wish Their Adoptive Parents Knew (Sherrie Eldridge) for our family credits. Today I am getting my paperwork out and finding the list of items to purchase so we can start shopping. Hey, it's a start! Maybe, just maybe by the time our referral comes we will have it all done.
BTW, referrals have been weird lately with the flu so we are still waiting to see if a batch will come out in June or if it will be the beginning of July. At this point we are still hoping for September but only time will tell. I'll keep you posted!
I better get moving as it's going to be one busy weekend. I have to paint, get that paperwork out, close on our refinance today, work tomorrow and then celebrate Chase's big Graduation!

1 comment:

meme said...

See you at the Party!